May 01, 2007

anti-smoking propaganda or hook?


Shayne is 21, a student and a smoker, who maintains that all the anti-smoking propaganda that has bombarded her generation since birth has not been a deterrent but has actually been a ‘hook’ to get kids addicted to a legally purchased product from which the government rakes in a lot of ‘sin’ money.

"The government deliberately makes those graphic warnings on cigarette packs ridiculous because it knows smokers won't believe them," says Shayne. "It wants to keep us hooked.”

“To non-smokers, it looks like the government is the good guy, doing the right thing, but it's not."

"If it weren't so serious I'd be laughing at these pathetic attempts to stop me smoking -- or keep me hooked," says Shayne. "What are they going to try next? Are they going to waste more public funds -- most of which is provided by the exorbitant taxes smokers pay -- to give us auditory scares as well as visual ones.”

“Will I open my pack one day and be greeted by the sound of a terminal cough?"

"Every time an anti-smoking or a quit product advertisement appears on TV I automatically reach for a cigarette," laughs Shayne, "and I bet those advertisements have the same effect on all the poor, deluded suckers trying to quit."

"Governments make more money from cigarette taxes than from any other type of tax," says Shayne, "and they know exactly what they are doing with all of their hypocritical anti-smoking propaganda."

"It's the cleverest bit of reverse psychology I've ever seen," laughs Shayne. "Sure, I'm a sucker for getting hooked but what chance did I have as a kid to work out what that anti-smoking education was really all about?"

Read more from Shayne on this subject:



  • two-faced health warnings
  • stop government advertising!
  • gory tobacco ads
  • education or propaganda?





  • Labels: , , , , , , , ,